Yield: Serves 3-4, depending on the size of the servings.
• 2/3 cup (about 80 g) confectioner's sugar, plus more for ramekins
• 4 tablespoons (about 60 g) unsalted butter, plus more for ramekins
• 2/3 cup (about 120 g) semi sweet chocolate, I used chocolate chips
• 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 3 eggs
• pinch salt
• 2 teaspoons instant coffee
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter the bottom and sides of 3 ramekins (I used 220 ml ramekins). Then dust the ramekins with some confectioners' sugar.
Place the eggs, confectioner's sugar, salt, vanilla extract and instant coffee into a large bowl. Mix them with a electric mixer for about 2 minutes.
Break the chocolate into pieces (if you don't use the chocolate chips). Place the butter and chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth; stopping to stir every 25 seconds (or use a double boiler to melt the chocolate). Let cool slightly.
Add the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Whisk to combine.
Then add the flour, and whisk just until combined (do not over mix).
Pour the batter into prepared ramekins (do not overfill).
Run a small knife around the edges to loosen and invert onto dessert plates or you can serve each molten lava cake still in the cup.